Saturday, February 27, 2010

are you proud of me, Longinus?

Some things give me chills when I read them. Like this one:
Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate,
And though we pass them by today,
Tomorrow we may come this way
And take the hidden paths that run
Towards the Moon or to the Sun.
- The Fellowship of the Ring
Also, Brahms' Requiem is incredible. Rather different from the requiems and masses I've heard in the past, which is nice. Instead of following the liturgical Mass form - which everyone and their ferret does - he sets up his own structure. 7 movements, text derived entirely from Scripture. Unique. And the choir is sublime. I love the lyrical, haunting sound of the whole thing. I should say something a lot less vague about it, but 1) I need to listen to it more, and 2) I'm half asleep.

1: Selig Sind
(This is just the first movement, but all of them are equally amazing.)

Bach's Mass in B Minor still hasn't been dethroned, though. This is also very much worth a listen. Or a hundred listens. Bach's mad polyphony skills are pretty much unbeatable.

This isn't meant to be a rehash of that Greek guy's treatise on the sublime. I mean, I'd do a rehash, but rehashes kind of fail when you're tired.

Finally: shopping for clothes is a pain.

2 comments:

Tinuviel said...

That seems to be the way God deals with us in life sometimes, though.

Home is behind, the world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadows to the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.
Then world behind and home ahead,
We'll wander back to home and bed.
Mist and twilight, cloud and shade,
Away shall fade! Away shall fade!
Fire and lamp, and meat and bread,
And to bed! And then to bed!

That an adventure unknown lies before is both unnerving and exciting--would be only the former, if not for God's providence.

Thanks for introducing me to music I hadn't even realized exited before ^^

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.